Wednesday 2 April 2014

HAVE SOMETHING DONE






Have something done  
(from www.englishgrammarsecretes.com)
If you 'have something done', you get somebody else to do something for you.
  • I'm going to have my hair cut.
  • She's having her house redecorated.
  • I'm having a copy of the report sent to you
In informal English, we can replace 'have' by 'get'.
  • We're getting a new telephone system installed.
  • They will be getting the system repaired as quickly as they can.
  • I got the bill sent direct to the company.
We can also use 'have/got something done' in situations where something bad has happened to people or their possessions. This is not something they wanted to happen.
  • John had all his money stolen from his hotel bedroom.
  • We had our car damaged by a falling tree.
  • I got my nose broken playing rugby.

No comments:

A SONG TO ENJOY...

BREATHLESS BY THE CORRS